Sunday, September 28, 2014

Faithful Family Resources September 28 2014


If I had my child to raise all over again,
I’d build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I’d finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I’d take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I’d take more hikes and fly more kites.
I’d stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I’d do more hugging and less tugging.
~ Diane Loomans  ‘If I had my child to raise over again.”

Family Closeness
Game:
Paper Strips
Give everyone in your family a sheet of newspaper and tell them to  tear it into as long a strip as possible. For a greater challenge turn off the lights

Sharing:
  • Have you ever worn something in public that embarrassed your parents?
  • What was it?
  • Where was it?
  • What did your parents do or say?
  • What happened?

 Story
With your family read: Matthew 21.33-42
(for a way of explaining/talking about this reading with children look at http://sermons4kids.com/parable_of_the_tenants.htm

 Questions for Discussion:
  • Which character is like God in this parable? Which character is like Jesus? Which character is like people?
  • Did the tenants have any right to the vineyard?
  • Why did they attack the slaves and the son?
  • What is Jesus trying to teach us with this parable?

Prayer and Celebration
Passing of the Cross
Use a small wooden cross or even a metal one on a chain. In a circle the cross is taken up. Who ever holds the cross is the person who prays.  This prayer begins with one person who either says a prayer out loud or silently says or imagines a prayer. The cross is passed when the person who holds it is finished.  Each person takes their turn. 
Prompts may be given by the someone as the cross is passed.
 Eg. See…a friend in need, a hurt that needs healing…etc.
Pray one sentence…prompt:  thank you God for

Bonus Family Activity
Fast Progressive Dinner
As a fun different meal idea take your family on a fast food progressive dinner. Start at one fast food place for entrĂ©e…maybe fries, move to another for main course and then on to another for dessert. To make it even more unusual don't decide where you will go..put the names of all the fast food places you know into a hat and draw them out as you go along.    


(This material is based on and draws from earlier Faithful Families emails by Stephen Harrison and Richard Browning: An Unless Ideas Production.) Unless otherwise noted all material on this blog is copyright Stephen Harrison and Richard Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment