Sunday, October 26, 2014

Faithful Families Resources October 26 2014


In every conceivable manner, the family is the link to our past, bridge to our future.
~ Alex Haley

Family Closeness
Game:
Stand Next To…
This is a game that will have you family moving about. Either one person does the call or everyone takes turns. Someone calls out: “Stand next to something that....” and finishes the sentence with whatever they can come up with: “is green”, “has the letter A”, “belongs to mum”, “smells good”, “is edible”. Your imagination is the limit.

Sharing:
  • What is something that makes you laugh?
  • If you could own only three things what would they be?
  • What is boredom? Why does it happen?

 Story
With your family read: Matthew 23.1-12
(for a way of explaining/talking about this reading with children look at

Questions for Discussion:
  • Have you ever heard the phrase “walk the talk?”
  • What do you think it means?
  • What did Jesus say the Pharisees did wrong?
  • How might Christians show off?

Prayer and Celebration

A Prayer of Humility for children adapted from the Litany of Humility:

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, hear me.
Help me to look for what is good in others and forget what is bad in them.
Help me to put others first and not worry if I'm not picked or am ignored.
Help me not to seek approval and not worry about being the center of attention.
Help me not to be afraid to be afraid of not being liked or worry about being hurt or not believed.
Help me to look beyond myself, even if it's not my turn, and to help others.
Deliver me, Jesus, from all of these and make me as holy as I should be.
Amen
~Author Unkown

Bonus Family Activity
Read a Book Together
Pick a book. It doesn’t need to be long one and read it out loud together. Some of Dr Suess’s longer ones might be suitable – for instance The Five Hundred Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins or Bartholomew and the Oobleck.

(This material is based on and draws from earlier Faithful Families emails by Stephen Harrison and Richard Browning: An Unless Ideas Production.) Unless otherwise noted all material on this blog is copyright Stephen Harrison and Richard Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment